OK, weekly is a bit of misnomer here. I fell a little behind due to a severe head cold, so herewith is your “Weekly Vocab Builder…and a Bit More.”
- Scalawag: a troublemaker, racscal.
- Hypallage: “
- Visceral: instinctive
- Schoolmarm: a female teacher. Once it meant any female teacher, now it refers to one who is old-fashioned or particularly strict.
- Whipsaw: to win two ways at once (more at the link).
- Graphophobia: fear of writing.
- Abrogate: to abolish.
- Polity: the form of governance of a society.
Want to build your vocabulary daily? Follow me on Twitter to get the Vocab Builder every Monday through Friday.