March 4 was National Grammar Day. To celebrate, all of this post’s words are grammar-related.
- Gerund: a verb that is acting as a noun, in English usually with the -ing ending
- Participle: a verb that is acting as an adjective
- Syntax: pattern of phrase and sentence formation
- Grammar: study of words and how they form sentences
- Homonym: two words (or more) that have the same sound and spelling but different meanings. Compare with homophone and homograph
- Jargon: a collection of words within an industry with meaning specific to that industry
Want more? Check out these sites:
You can get the Vocab Builder every weekday by following me on Twitter.