I recently joined a couple of LinkedIn groups that focus on vocabulary. Word-A-Day offers a new word each day to members. Owner Anne L. Michaels gives you the word, its pronunciation, syllabication, and definition. Occasionally a conversation gets going around the word, but even without that you great education in words. This week’s list is entirely from Word-A-Day.
- Discombobulate: to confuse; to be confused
- Bumbershoot: an umbrella
- Akimbo: to have hands on hips with arms bent outward
- Disambiguate: to clarify; to create one grammatical interpretation for
You can get the Vocab Builder every weekday by following me on Twitter.
- Recapitulate: to reiterate in a concise manner
- Inveigh: to vent anger; to protest strongly
- Macerate: to soften by soaking in liquid, such as grapes in a barrel
- Punt: an open boat that has a flat bottom and square ends, usually used in shallow waters and moved with a long pole; to move a boat with a long pole
- Illuminati: people who claim illumination on a specific subject