It’s been awhile since I’ve done a contest here on The Writing Resource, and with National Grammar Day coming up next week, I want to give you an opportunity to win a cool grammar prize.
So here’s the deal: correct the following sentences, then submit your answers to me via email by Sunday, February 27, at 5 pm (ET). The person with the most correct answers will win this cool Grammar Day T-shirt and bragging rights. In the event of more than one correct entry, I’ll put all the names in a hat and have my kids pick a winner.
Answers and the winner will be announced here on March 4, National Grammar Day. In many cases, more than one correct answer is possible. I will judge a correct answer as a sentence that is grammatically correct without sounding stilted. All decisions are final.
Ready? Let’s go!
The Writing Resource’s National Grammar Day Contest
Correct the following sentences for grammar. More than one answer may be possible.
- The title of the book was very interesting, and the book itself was very dull.
- Father Meyer came to the house daily, from which a sturdy friendship grew.
- Chicago stretches along the shore of Lake Michigan, which makes a beautiful shore drive possible.
- Critics agreed that the movie was unrealistic and it was too long and that it wasn’t interesting.
- Come to the meeting prepared to take notes and with some questions to ask.
- If a student does his homework daily, your tests will be passed easily.
- The flour and butter should be mixed into a paste, and add a small amount of milk.
- Unless the mayor sets a new course, our city is likely to be buried beneath a mound of debt.
- The selection of stories in both books were extremely good.
- Asking one absurd question after another, Bob’s teacher was soon made to dislike him.
You do not have to have your name published to win, but you must email your answers by Sunday, February 27, at 5 pm (ET). You must also be willing to send me your mailing address to receive your prize—the Grammar Day Basic T-shirt in white and in your size choice—should you win. Answers and the winner will be announced on Friday, March 4.